Good news, everyone! Google has accepted the Pidgin project‘s application to be a mentoring organization in this year’s Google Summer of Code. If you love programming and are looking for a chance to help an open source project, look no further.
How much can you accomplish in a single summer? Quite a lot. To give you an idea, here’s a list of some of our heftier projects of past years:
- SSL certificate verification and management
- Voice and video chat for XMPP
- The Bonjour protocol plugin
- The MySpace protocol plugin
- The SIMPLE protocol plugin
- Finch (command-line based IM client based on libpurple)
- Get inspired by our ideas list. But don’t limit yourself to those ideas—we love when students propose their own projects.
- The application period starts March 26 and ends April 6th (full timeline)
- Once the application period opens, apply here
- We’re guessing we’ll request slots for 3 students this year.
- If IM isn’t your thing but you still want to participate, check out the list of other great organizations